Re: Samsung V20XTC - any good with Debian?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 04:37:43PM +0000, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> I am seeking information on whether the Samsung V20XTC is any good with
> Debian, particularly:
>
> Can the sound be made to work?
>
> How about the modem?
>
> Onboard LAN?
>
> Failing all this, how about the Toshiba 1410-704?

My answers are not particular to Debian, but they apply to all
sorts of linux compatibility issues that affect purchasing.

If you are looking at them face to face, they probably have mswin on
them;  look in the Control Panel under System, and the device entries
for sound, modem, and lan card should be listed.  That should give you
the chipsets; with that you can more safely make these decisions.

If you are not looking at these things face to face, find a saleman
who is willing to go the extra few mouse clicks and look these up for
you.  If he's only willing to fax you a spec sheet and not really
check on things, you'll be happier with another vendor.   You'd be
surprised how friendly sales staff can get when you tell them that it
makes or breaks the selection, but you can tell a community of other
buyers about your decision...

Anyways a google search on the first model doesn't pull up anything
useful, and the second is hampered by 1410 also meaning something else
next to Toshiba as a keyword.  It looks like that would be among the
models covered by the new kernel modules boosting access to the BIOS
management functions.  But I have no toshibas so I can't say for sure.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078