Re: dselect sucks greasy cheese balls

Kurt Sys wrote:
> To be honest, I had some troubles with dselect too... After
> I had some thing installed 'automatically' etc, it messed up my
> laptop once. OK, this might partially due to myself because of
> being 'unconcentrated'. I simply don't use dselect anymore.
> Just 'apt-get' thinks (or 'dpkg'), it works fine. Simple. No
> trouble.

There is surely no trouble, but aptitude can be actually even
helpfull -- keeping track of packages which were installed just
to satisfy dependencies, and which can thus be safely eliminated
when not needed. IIRC, plain apt-get cannot do that. And of
course for some people menu-screen-based interface is more
pleasant than apt-cache search etc.

Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims
may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber
barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's
cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be
satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment
us without end, for they do so with the approval of their
consciences.
    -- C. S. Lewis