Re: How to manager different network environments?

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 07:29, Auke Jilderda wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I have exactly the same issue as Mariano and judging  from the website,
> "whereami" is 'exactly what the doctor ordered' ;-).
>
> On the site, it says:
> 	My feeling is that there are only a few actual times when a
> 	laptop might find itself in a new 'location': during the boot
> 	process, and when a PCMCIA (network) card is inserted or
> 	removed.
> I'd say there is one more: Upon (un)docking.
>
> I am not yet very familiar with laptops because I just got my first one
> a days ago but I'm learning: In the docking station, I seem to get a
> second ethernet adapter so that should be easy detectable?  However, I
> haven't tested yet what happens if I boot before docking; I'm not sure
> if the system will update its PCI devices info.
>
> Anyway, in addition to (de)configuring adapters, I need to
> - (un)set a proxy for all network traffic
> - configure the proper outgoing mailserver
> - start and stop services (e.g. nfs, fetchmail)
> - mount/unmount some drives
> Can that be done with "whereami"?  And, if so, do you have examples?
>
> Ofcourse it would also be very nice if you have links to similar
> packages, if only to see your competition. ;-)

If linux supports docking / undocking your laptop then whereami can deal
with it.

Some years ago (when I first developed whereami) I used to have a laptop
with a docking station, but use of the docking station required
rebooting so I have not bothered with one for my newer laptop.  In those
days I used a test based on lspci and grep to look for some particular
PCI details only present in the docking station.  This is handled as:
	testpci <string> <location>
in recent versions.

Configuring outgoing mailserver, starting and stopping services and
mounting / unmounting drives is all normal work for whereami.

To date I have not had to deal with your proxy issues myself.  I have
thought about it though, and concluded that the best way to do this
would probably be to run a local proxy, and reconfigure that to either
go direct to the internet, or to an upstream proxy.  Otherwise there are
applications that need reconfiguring individually - it is much easier to
reconfigure a daemon process on the fly.

Regards,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for free with http://survey.net.nz/