Re: How to manager different network environments?

Andrew,

I have exactly the same issue as Mariano and judging  from the website,
"whereami" is 'exactly what the doctor ordered' ;-).

On the site, it says:
	My feeling is that there are only a few actual times when a
	laptop might find itself in a new 'location': during the boot
	process, and when a PCMCIA (network) card is inserted or
	removed.
I'd say there is one more: Upon (un)docking.

I am not yet very familiar with laptops because I just got my first one
a days ago but I'm learning: In the docking station, I seem to get a
second ethernet adapter so that should be easy detectable?  However, I
haven't tested yet what happens if I boot before docking; I'm not sure
if the system will update its PCI devices info.

Anyway, in addition to (de)configuring adapters, I need to
- (un)set a proxy for all network traffic
- configure the proper outgoing mailserver
- start and stop services (e.g. nfs, fetchmail)
- mount/unmount some drives
Can that be done with "whereami"?  And, if so, do you have examples?

Ofcourse it would also be very nice if you have links to similar
packages, if only to see your competition. ;-)

Auke

--
PGP: 0x4A34DD6D, http://bunny.sourceforge.net/