Dell Inspiron 8000 Fn key not working

Hi all!

After a recent BIOS update to A20 (I did all the ones in between as
well) my blue Fn key no longer gets passed through to the BIOS.

I used to be able to pull up the battery status (Fn-F3) and enter the
setup (Fn-F1) etc but now it does nothing.

xev reports the same keycode for the button with or without the Fn key
pressed e.g. Fn-F1 returns keycode 67 as does F1 by itself.

I am using Gnome and X4.1.

It used to work with A17 but I don't really want to go back as the
temp/fan control seems to be better with this BIOS.

Has anyone seen this problem and know a way to get it to work again??!

TIA.

--
* Simon Wong            *