Re: hibernating w/ Thinkpad A22m and lphdisk

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 11:50:04PM -0500, nick lidakis wrote:
> I am trying to get hibernation working with my thinkpad a22m (2628SSU).
> The machine is currently running woody with kernel 2.4.17.  When I did
> the initial install I deleted all the the MS stuff and dedicated the
> whole HD to debian. I used gnuparted to resize the HD to allow for a
> hibernation partition on hda4, and set the file type to a0 (ibm thinkpad
> hibernation utility). Grabbed lphdisk, ran it, then tried Fn-12.
> Nothing.

As I understand it, a hibernation partition doesn't work on recent
thinkpads, you need a hibernation file instead, on a FAT16 partition.

> Tried using the ibm hibernation utlilty from the IBM website, and still
> nothing.

What utility is this that you used? My X21 hibernates fine, and was set up
using an annoying IBM dos utility.  Basically you could download the
utility which runs under DOS to create a floppy, which you boot from to
create the hibernation file.  But before running it, you need to create and
format a FAT16 partition for it to go on.

> Do I need to have win98 installed for this to work?

No.

> hda4 is aproox 520mb ( I plan to upgrade the ram to 512mb + 8Mb video ram
> + 2Mb as per lphdisk doc).

Upgrade the RAM first would be my recommendation, since you'll have to
rerun the IBM utility after you upgrade RAM.

> Anybody with a similiar thinkpad using hibernation with any success?

Yes.  See above.

> Could you post your partition tabel?

/dev/hda4   *       575       639    491400    6  FAT16

The contents of this partition are...

$ ls -l /tmp/hiber/
total 106052
-r-xr-xr-x    1 droundy  droundy  108597248 Jan 13 07:47 save2dsk.bin

> BTW, the IBM website sts that the machine can suspend, stanby, and
> hibernate.  The machine suspends when the lid is closed or by pressing Fn
> F4, but how does standby and hibernate differ?

Standby is even less powersaving than suspend, and I've never had occasion
to use it.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/