Re: hibernating w/ Thinkpad A22m and lphdisk

nick lidakis, 2002-Jan-12 23:50 -0500:
> I am trying to get hibernation working with my thinkpad a22m (2628SSU).
> The machine is currently running woody with kernel 2.4.17.
> When I did the initial install I deleted all the the MS stuff and
> dedicated the whole HD to debian. I used gnuparted to resize the HD to
> allow
> for a hibernation partition on hda4, and set the file type to a0 (ibm
> thinkpad hibernation utility). Grabbed lphdisk, ran it, then tried
> Fn-12.
> Nothing. Tried using the ibm hibernation utlilty from the IBM website,
> and still nothing. Do I need to have win98 installed for this to work?
> hda4 is aproox 520mb ( I plan to upgrade the ram to 512mb + 8Mb video
> ram + 2Mb as per lphdisk doc). Anybody with a similiar thinkpad using
> hibernation with any success? Could you post your partition tabel? BTW,
> the IBM website sts that the machine can suspend, stanby, and hibernate.
> The machine suspends when the lid is closed or by pressing Fn F4, but
> how does standby and hibernate differ?

I'm assuming that you are trying to get Suspend to Disk (S2D) to
work.  Are you getting a failure message when you attempt it?

There is some discussion on this issue in the archive (I asked
the question not too long ago).

If you are using LILO as your boot loader, and you installed LILO
into MBR, then that is your problem.  As I learned recently, LILO
does not support the need to change the boot flags on the boot
partitions in MBR.  Apparently, S2D will change the flags so that
the boot flag is set on the S2D partition so it will boot from
that device when you resume.

What I did to resolve this was reinstall LILO to my root
partition and then reboot to a WIN98SE diskette and run 'fdisk
/mbr' to install the Windows loader into MBR.  This loader
supports the flag switching.  I also changed the 'boot=' entry in
/etc/lilo.conf to be the root partition and reran lilo.

I hope this solves it...jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User