hibernating w/ Thinkpad A22m and lphdisk

I am trying to get hibernation working with my thinkpad a22m (2628SSU).
The machine is currently running woody with kernel 2.4.17.
When I did the initial install I deleted all the the MS stuff and
dedicated the whole HD to debian. I used gnuparted to resize the HD to
allow
for a hibernation partition on hda4, and set the file type to a0 (ibm
thinkpad hibernation utility). Grabbed lphdisk, ran it, then tried
Fn-12.
Nothing. Tried using the ibm hibernation utlilty from the IBM website,
and still nothing. Do I need to have win98 installed for this to work?
hda4 is aproox 520mb ( I plan to upgrade the ram to 512mb + 8Mb video
ram + 2Mb as per lphdisk doc). Anybody with a similiar thinkpad using
hibernation with any success? Could you post your partition tabel? BTW,
the IBM website sts that the machine can suspend, stanby, and hibernate.
The machine suspends when the lid is closed or by pressing Fn F4, but
how does standby and hibernate differ?