Re: samba and a bit of sound

Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
On Thursday 26 December 2002 17:55, Kurt Sys wrote:

You really only need one package, "smbfs".

I have that one, and also smbclient and some other, but apparently, I don't need these...

Once that is installed you should be able to mount windows shares with:

# mount -t smbfs "//hostname/sharename" localmountpath

And that doesn't work:

# 9xx: session request to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed (Called name not present)
# 9xx: session request to xxx failed (Called name not present)
# Passwd:

I give my password, or password of administrator

# 9xx: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoacces (acces denied.)
# SMB connection failed

I get the same messages if I put '-o username=kurts' (kurts is my username on that server). I also tried different sharenames... And I use the IP-adress of the server, just to be sure.

I'll try this, later on, but I think I already tried some of these. Does
make a difference if i include as a module, or directlly into the kernel? I

It makes the difference that you have to load the module before it can be used, either with modprobe or load it permanently with modconf.

But both should work... and normally I use 'modconf'. With respect to my sound, it seems as if some modules cannot be loaded.

read sometimes that it's 'better' to compile the things as modules, but i
have not really an idea why... Anyway, it's worth the effort.
If you compile you own kernel it is pretty much useless to compile modules, the advantage is mainly to distribution makers who can compile a range of basic drivers into the kernel and put all other drivers in as modules. That means you can keep the size of the kernel very small, but if you need extra drivers they can still be added without recompiling the kernel. That's putting it very simple ofcourse.

But I shouldn't care about that, I guess, so compiling directly into the kernel is probably the better option for starters like me!?

By the way, I always try to get things to work as root first. If that's
working, I change permissions... I think this isn't really an issue here
(since root has the right permissions), is it?
I think that is a bad idea. You should only use the superuser account to configure the useraccount. That's just my rule of thumb.

OK... But now back to the sound stuff:

I tried different modules (with 'modconf') and found one which could be installed and which gave 'some' result. Some sounds sound ok, but at least as many sound bad, i.e. like there's some kind of a 'overdrive'. I try sounds using:

# cat /somedir/somefile.wav > /dev/dsp

I'm not sure if it matters, but I checked some 'parameters' (although I have actually not really an idea what they mean) in my win:
IRQ=09
I/O=1C00 1CFF
I/O=1880 18BF
These last two seem to match if I 'do'