Re: samba and a bit of sound

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 03:23:32PM +0100, Kurt Sys wrote:
> By the way, I also didn't manage to get sound to work. I get the message
> 'can't locate module snd' (using 'alsa'). I have compiled kernel 2.4.16
> with some sound modules, but I can't 'insmod' all modules (or using
> 'modconf') I would like to. I try some of them, because I actually don't
> know exactly which ones I need on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 2650,
> integrated intell audio controller AC97 or something like that).

	I toiled with my sound setup for many days before I found the silver
	bullet (at least for setting up Dell Laptop sound).  Do an 'apt-get
	sndconfig'.  That'll install RedHat's sound config utility.  The run
	sndconfig as root and it should auto-detect your sound card.  Then
	just monkey with the IRQ/DMA settings until you can hear the sound
	sample.  That'll generate a sndconfig file in your /etc/modutils
	directory.  Make sure you remove any other sound configuration stuff
	from any other modutils files.

	- Ryan