Re: samba and a bit of sound

On Thursday 26 December 2002 17:55, Kurt Sys wrote:

> OK... I'm sorry I didn't no that expression... I'll never forget it. But
> euh, smb is installed, as a module. And I installed several smb-packages
> too. It's just, I can read server-data if i use xsmbrowser, but mounting
> seems not to work... Is this 'normal'?

You really only need one package, "smbfs".

Once that is installed you should be able to mount windows shares with:

# mount -t smbfs "//hostname/sharename" localmountpath

> I'll try this, later on, but I think I already tried some of these. Does
> make a difference if i include as a module, or directlly into the kernel? I

It makes the difference that you have to load the module before it can be
used, either with modprobe or load it permanently with modconf.

> read sometimes that it's 'better' to compile the things as modules, but i
> have not really an idea why... Anyway, it's worth the effort.

If you compile you own kernel it is pretty much useless to compile modules,
the advantage is mainly to distribution makers who can compile a range of
basic drivers into the kernel and put all other drivers in as modules. That
means you can keep the size of the kernel very small, but if you need extra
drivers they can still be added without recompiling the kernel. That's
putting it very simple ofcourse.

> By the way, I always try to get things to work as root first. If that's
> working, I change permissions... I think this isn't really an issue here
> (since root has the right permissions), is it?

I think that is a bad idea. You should only use the superuser account to
configure the useraccount. That's just my rule of thumb.

Anders