Re: samba and a bit of sound

On Thursday 26 December 2002 17:20, Kurt Sys wrote:

> OK... problem found, I guess:
>
> # Can't locate module iirc

Sorry I should have know better than to be that imprecise. iirc is just
shorthand for if I remember correctly. Using the regular kernel its just

# modprobe smb

> What's the most 'simple' solution? Untill now, I just (re)compiled the
> kernel (the debian way) after i ran 'make menuconfig'... choosing 'all

If you recompile the kernel you need the smb filesystem support compiled in,
either as a module or as a part of the kernel.
It's in section (F) - File systems

And besides that you need the smbfs package.

> I'm quite sure it isn't, mainly because  I'm not sure which one I have
> to choose. I know it's SoundBlaster and Windows sound compatible (from
> website of Dell). However, if i try to 'modconf' the '100% soundblaster
> compatible' modules, it fails... I have this on my laptop, but actually

Yeah.. That's not gonna work, I think.

> also on my desktop (so it is not really a laptop-specific problem for
> me, although i have much more information about my soundcard of my
> desktop, i.e. i/o, irq, ...).
> I tried also with the OSS-stuff, but if i run alsaconf then, it
> complains 'can't locate module snd'. Do i really miss another module?
> (And where can i find it...)

ALSA stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architechture. It's the next generation
sound api that is going into kernel 2.6 (hopefully). There is no alsa support
in the stock kernel sources from debian, so unless you get an alsa patch for
2.4 from somewhere on the net, nothing that has anything to do with alsa is
ever going to work. Forget alsa until you get regular sound working.

Try compiling the kernel with the Intel sound driver (Intel ICH (i8xx), SiS
7012, etc. etc.). If you compile it directly into the kernel it should be
activated at reboot.
Now as root add your user to the audio group with:
# adduser username audio

Alternatively you can enable audio for all users with:

# chmod 666 /dev/dsp

This should be it. An easy way to test it is with xmms.

Anders