Re: Inspiron 5000 text-console freezing, somehow linked to X ?

Hello again !
Today I re-entered the contest with the 'freezing console'.
I built some different kernels and wrote a simple 'emergency-shutdown' script
which performs a regular reboot after a predefined amount of time.
At least I can test conditions without filesystem-corruption now.

This is what I found out so far:
'apm: get_event: interface not connected'
is shown up first early at boot-time, before starting any services, no matter
if apm in BIOS is activated or not. Btw i8K says 'Unable to get SMM
Dell-signature / BIOS version'.
I suppose now it's rather not related to the freezing phaenomen.

nikolaj erichsen:

> I have an i8100 and had the same kind of problem, the solution was to
> turn all apic (not acpi) off in the kernel (CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC).
>
> Hope it helps
>
> -->negon
A good hint.
Unfortunateley, on my I5000 it doesn't. I turned all APIC-Options out,
from within menuconfig:
CONFIG-X86_IO=n
CONFIG-X86_LOCAL=n
and one more try with
CONFIG-X86_GOOD=n
which I found only in the .config itself.
Btw i found Symmetric Multiprocessing turned on, but there's only a
Math-Coprozessor built in the PIII. So i turned it off, too. HTR...

Stumbaum, Rainer:
> can you reproduce the error immediately when touching the touchpad???
> I installed gpm and used gpmdata for mouse input in X to solve that issue.
> Good luck
> Rainer
That was a good hint, too.
Originally I disabled gpm by init. I made some tests:

1. Unchanged setting.
After booting into console ( without X and without gpm ):

- Touching the pad didn't harm.
But starting kdm, and back on console, it immediateley produces the 'frost' (
or better 'frust' :).

- Starting gpm works,  /dev/gpmdata and the 'runtime' gpmctl seem to be
alright. But after kill gpm, touching the pad freezes.

Setting:

XF86 configures mouse:		gpm:
/dev/psaux
( later: gpmdata)			/dev/psaux
IMPS/2				autops
				repeat-type ms3
				(later:append ="_Rms3")

2. With XF86 pointing to gpmdata I started gpm with -Rms3 ( see below ).
It works on console, but in X rather produces trash, so I think it's not the
right -R protocol.
Now, back to console, killing gpm and touching the pad still freezes as usual.

I couldn't manage to find out more yet, and have to leave it for now.
True I don't understand what's going on, but the mouse-device seems to be a
good trace since it could explain why the 'frost' appears together with
starting X.

I feel that the solution is quite near, but I just can't see it.
Perhaps someone else has sharper eyes ?
;-)