Re: 3Com Mini-PCI combo WinModem :-(

Salve Karl,

be happy to have a Lucent Microelectronics WinModem,
I saw pages which says it is supported, too.
But about the 3Com WinModem I found only bad news, and infos
saying, 3Com is not supporting Linux-developer :-(

>From /proc/pci

 Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c556 Hurricane CardBus (rev 16).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=10.Max Lat=5.
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd4ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf3ffdc00 [0xf3ffdc7f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf3ffd800 [0xf3ffd87f].
  Bus  0, device  16, function  1:
    Communication controller: PCI device 10b7:1007 (3Com Corporation) (rev
16).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=10.Max Lat=5.
      I/O at 0xd000 [0xd0ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf3ffd400 [0xf3ffd4ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf3ffd000 [0xf3ffd07f].

> Note the quotation marks around the word "work" - I have had frequent
> oops'es with them, especially when attempting to use infrared
> afterwards, and I have my suspicions about what those drivers do to the
> sound card.

Which one?
ESS Technology ES1983S Maestro-3i PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 16)?

> AOL. So that's 60 euros in total...
>me too ;-) 90 EUROs in total now (from Werner)
:-)
BTW Werner, will Mobilix.org create a page "Most wanted Driver" ?
Mabey prize for driver would make visible that free software != for free.

Back to the Mini-PCI combo from 3Com, function 0 is working fine,
function 1, 10b7:1007 (3Com Corporation) is not.

- Any ideas if its possible to write a driver without 3Com support?
- When is the next expidition to visit a 3Com presentation to blame them?
- Does some other GNU/Linux developer already sniffed a PCI-bus succsessfully?
- Would this PCI-bus sniffing work with software only, or is special hardware
  needed?
- Could a Mini-PCI-Card be used with an adapter in a normal PC?

I just phoned Dell to find out if they are still selling these combos:
first info I got is that newer Laptops used onboard modems -
for more details I will  phone this technicans on monday.

Have a nice weekend,
rob