Re: 3Com Mini-PCI combo WinModem :-(

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 05:19:24PM +0100, Robert Michel wrote:
> Salve,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 with a 3Com Mini-PCI combo WinModem
> and I fear, that this 3Com WinModem is still not supported :-(

So do I. From /proc/pci:

  Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
    Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 1).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf3ffdc00 [0xf3ffdcff].
      I/O at 0xdcd8 [0xdcdf].
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd4ff].

But I have found that the winmodem has drivers from Lucent that "work".

Note the quotation marks around the word "work" - I have had frequent
oops'es with them, especially when attempting to use infrared
afterwards, and I have my suspicions about what those drivers do to the
sound card. Or perhaps it is because of suspend/resume. Whatever the
reason, *not* using the winmodem drivers has made my system rock stable.

If you google on "lucent winmodem drivers ltmodem", you should find
quite a few references.

[snip]

> If someone know a solution for the 3Com WinModem, he will
> get my thanks, if someone going to develop a driver in till End 2003,
> he will get 30 Euro from me.
> Ok, 30 Euro are not a so big motivation, but imagine some other
> user would join ;-)

AOL. So that's 60 euros in total...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen