Re: I need help setting up my DVD please.

Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

Jeremy Petzold <jpetzold@earthlink.net> writes:

I need some help. I have a cd-rw/dvd-rom on my laptop
I downloaded ogle, ogle gui is not working right in sarge so I got rid
of it while I test out the access.

I have access to the CD-RW functions, so I know my scsi emulation is
working, I made a directory /dev/dvd and ln -sf to /dev/scd0.

Not claiming that I know what I speak of but this doesn't sound right.
What does

 $ ls -ld /dev/dvd /dev/scd0

give you?  I think /dev/dvd should be a symlink to /dev/scd0 and that
should in turn be a proper device node.  I don't have a DVD-ROM, but
for my CD-ROM it looks like

 $  ls -ld /dev/cdrom /dev/hdc
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Apr  3  2001 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
 brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 Dec  1  2000 /dev/hdc
 $

I've got a dvd drive at /dev/hdc, which, if I mount the DVD first, then browse to hte DVD dir, I can play (in ogle only). That was enough for me.

-g