Re: Dell Latitude CPxH500- X windows?

ok, thanks for the reply.

Now, i managed to install debian 3.0 on the laptop. everything went fine until
I started up the X windows (either with gnome or kde). It correctly launches the
windows and the desktop managers are working smoothly but the other sessions
(which should be in text mode,  tty1-6) have a completely messed display, and
there is no way to interrupt the X session, not even shutting down.
The Xfree86 version seems to be 4.1.0.1 prerelease. I stepped back to 4.0.1 but
the xdm aborts

Is there any parameter i should tune? the monitor is 1024x768, TFT, XGA. The
video card is ATI Rage Mobility (Mach 64).
(apparently xfree86 -configure detects this all right; even the mice)

or would it work better when using the 4.2.0 version of Xfree86?

Thanks

Alex