Re: high memory usage in KDE?

Hi,

One thing to keep in mind is that linux caches a lot of code and data.
Thus memory will probably be used by applications that are not running.
You will notice this effect when an application starts up faster the
second time than the first time... So Linux will try and keep your
memory free as low as possible as what good is memory that just sits
there doing nothing.

As far as I understand it kdeinit is kind of a launcher of most kde
apps.  So if you run something like konsole, it will show as kdeinit:
konsole...

Now you might have a lot of fun with your audio apps as noatun seems to
eat memory, especially if you are playing a movie.  I myself do not like
this very much and though I also think KDE uses a lot of memory I have
kind of made peace with it.

Think about it this way: Windows eats memory right?  Now what we expect
is for KDE to be a windows replacement, we want drag and drop, we want
applets on the panel, kparts, and all other nifty things (me myself want to run
konsole as much as possible).  Doesn't it make sense that as we add more
features KDE will eat more memory too? This will be the trend in future
and the only thing we can hope is that it will crash less than its
counterpart...

Regards,
Alwyn