[Fwd: Re: Dell i8200 and GeForce2 Go]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Dell i8200 and GeForce2 Go
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 20:59:33 +0200
From: Andreas Fromm <afromm@physik.uni-erlangen.de>
To: "Joseph W. Schlecht" <joseph.schlecht@ndsu.nodak.edu>

Joseph W. Schlecht wrote:

>Ugh...
>
>I think I've done everything I'm supposed to do in setting up the GeForce2 Go
>in my new Dell i8200, but I have one problem: the only mode that really works
>is 1600x1400. That is way too big! In my XF86Config-4 file I do have
>different modes like 1400x1050 and 1024x768, but when I use them, the colors
>are all slurred (forgive me for the term, I'm not that familiar with graphics
>parlance).  The 'slurring' effect is fixed if I use the Fn-Font keys -- but
>this essentially makes my smaller resolution even smaller (there is a black
>border around my viewable area).
>
>Has anyone else run into this? If so, can I fix it? Can I get 1024x768 in the
>whole viewable area without 'slurred' colors?
>
>*** Please CC on any response, as I am not subscribed.
>
>Thanks
>
>Joseph Schlecht

I wood change my Dell I8k with yours. I have a 1400x1050 Display if
that's what you want.

Just a joke.

I don't have any Modeline in my XF86Config-4. Try this:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-100
        VertRefresh     60
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

You may need to replace the Sync and refresh values for your Display. I
think the DPMS module will generate the Modline automatically for the
resolution you specify. You also can try with different Color Depth values.

Greetings

Andreas