Re: The screen is not centered on my laptop

This one time, at band camp, Michele said:
> I've just installe debian woody on my athlon 1200 asus laptop, but during
> the installation proces, after the boot prompt and a few init messages, as
> soon as the penguin logo appeared, the text displayed on the screen moved
> down about five lines, and the last line strated to appear, in smoller
> font, on the top of the screen. The problem lasted since the end of the
> installation and riproposed itself at every startup, still now the console
> appear shifted by five lines.
> My video card is a SiS 630-670. Anyone around can help me? Should you need
> any deatil ask me...
> Thanx in advance
>
> Michele
It sounds like it's using a framebuffer display, and not doing it
gracefully.  The framebuffer for some video cards is just not that
mature yet, unfortunately, so if you don't need it, you can disable it
and get a nice text display.  If you do need a framebuffer, e.g.,
non-ASCII text display and the like, you might see if card's framebuffer
driver has been fixed in a newer kernel.  There are also modelines you
can pass to the framebuffer to get it to display better -
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt for details on passing
them to the kernel at boot time.
HTH,
Steve
--