Re: how to make my Thinkpad a Linux box

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 10:44:28AM -0300, Leonardo Boiko wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 10:22:40AM -0300, Luciano Andino wrote:
> > Hi to everyone! I'm new with Linux and laptops and want to put maybe?
> > Debian on it. My problem is: My IBM Thinkpad 560X 200MHz (win98) has no
> > cdrom o floppy, only a parallel port. How can I make it a Linux Box? Is
> > it possible with an external ZIP if it is not booteable?
> I had a similar problem; my friend's Thinkpad 365XD can't boot by cdrom,
> and we were without a floppy drive. Since it came with Windows, what we
> did was running some installation program (don't remember the name)
> from the Debian CDs.
> But since I can't reinstall anything, I'd like to hear other solutions
> to this problem.

If you have the facilities then taking the HD out of the laptop and
plugging it into a desktop PC is probably the least painful way to go
about it.

It does require that a) you have a PC floating around, and b) that you
have a laptop HD -> fullsize IDE cable converter. Install a basic system
with network capabilities (leave X and other stuff until later), then
pop the HD back into the laptop and finish the install over the network.

Far easier than faffing about with random programs from windows...

Cheers
    Dave