Re: Lexmark laser

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 02:25:13PM -0400, Hubert Chan wrote:

> Drew> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 06:06:38PM +0000, Simon Ross wrote:
> >> Saw the last post about an Epson printer which got an excellent
> >> answer.  :-) So here is my printing problem...
> >>
> >> Dell Inspiron 8000 Debian Woody kernel-2.4.17 Lexmark Optra E310
> >>
> >> If anyone has a setup like this and it's all working. Then please let
> >> me know if you can help.
> >>

> Drew> Ooh, I fear you may be in trouble.  Memory tells me the 310 model
> Drew> is Windows only (like the winmodems, software controlled).  But
> Drew> maybe I remember wrong and its the model which works perfectly.
> Drew> Lexmark sells both kinds.
>
> That's the 210 (which I have), but there's a Ghostscript driver for it,
> so it actually works pretty well -- except no manual feed.  The 310
> seems to be a native PostScript/PCL printer, which is good.

True.  I remember now, the Windows-only version had an "L" affixed to it.
The "Light" version. I guess it might have been 210L (distinct from 210).
Anyway it'll be described at linuxprinting.org.  I'm too lazy to check
myself ;)

> If the printer is PostScript, you don't have to bother with foomatic.
> Just use a normal PPD file (there may be one on the printer's drivers
> disk, or you should be able to find one on the web).

Yes, postscript printers are great.  I didn't manage to talk myself into
spending the extra money for one, but maybe I should have.  But my Brother
1440 works well enough via the ghostscript driver (with assistence from
foomatic to provide the lprng filter).

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A