erratic pointer movements and "false clicks" problem

I've had this problem a couple times in the past when I was trying to get XF86Config properly configured. But today it has come back for no apparent reason. My mouse pointer moves around smoothly for about 1 second, then the pointer jumps to a whole different location in the screen. Usually it jumps to a corner. IF I continue moving the mouse pointer around, it may move normally for a couple seconds and then erratically again. Also, in addition to moving erratically the pointer sometimes clicks (on its own) and selects things; but I'm not touching a button in the slightest!

This is really bugging me!!!

Any ideas?

(Note: I dont recall changing anything prior to this occuring today. But my system did actually have to do a fsck on my hard drive earlier today; I suppose it detected that the drive wasnt properly unmounted before the machine powered off. This doesnt make sense though, because I powered it off gracefully using the 'poweroff' command)

thanks in advance,
Gale Stafford