Re: Lexmark laser

>>>>> "Drew" == Drew Parsons <dparsons@emerall.com> writes:

Drew> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 06:06:38PM +0000, Simon Ross wrote:
>> Saw the last post about an Epson printer which got an excellent
>> answer.  :-) So here is my printing problem...
>>
>> Dell Inspiron 8000 Debian Woody kernel-2.4.17 Lexmark Optra E310
>>
>> If anyone has a setup like this and it's all working. Then please let
>> me know if you can help.

Drew> Ooh, I fear you may be in trouble.  Memory tells me the 310 model
Drew> is Windows only (like the winmodems, software controlled).  But
Drew> maybe I remember wrong and its the model which works perfectly.
Drew> Lexmark sells both kinds.

That's the 210 (which I have), but there's a Ghostscript driver for it,
so it actually works pretty well -- except no manual feed.  The 310
seems to be a native PostScript/PCL printer, which is good.

Drew> By the way, Lexmark's Linux support for Optra is in fact fantastic
Drew> (apart from the Winprinter model, whichever one it is),
Drew> they. provide full specs and everything.

Drew> The page that tells you all about this kind of news is, quite
Drew> simply, www.linuxprinting.org.  Best printing support is found
Drew> through the foomatic scripts.  I think Debian has cupsomatic,
Drew> which sets it up easily with CUPS.  But I use lprng, not CUPS, the
Drew> site has instructions on what to do for lprng too.

If the printer is PostScript, you don't have to bother with foomatic.
Just use a normal PPD file (there may be one on the printer's drivers
disk, or you should be able to find one on the web).

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA