Re: how to load a module for vfat fs support?

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:08:43 -0700
Mike Alborn <malborn@deandra.homeip.net> wrote:

> I would check out the /lib/modules/2.4.10/ directories on your machine
> to make sure the correct modules are there. Try the following
>
> $ find /lib/modules/2.4.10 -name 'vfat.o'
>
> to see if the file 'vfat.o' exists. It should be in
> /lib/modules/2.4.10/kernel/fs/vfat/
>
> if not, then something happened during the kernel compile process, and
> the module wasn't compiled, or wasn't placed where it should be. If it
> is there, 'insmod vfat' or 'modprobe vfat' should do the trick.

Thanks! I don't have an fs or vfat directory in the /lib/modules/2.4.10/kernel directory. I do have an fs/vfat directory with some .c files and a "Makefile" in the /lib/modules/2.4.10/build directory. I'm assuming these .c files are source files that the kernel/module compiler uses to create the .o file that you refer to.

Perhaps I just need to recompile my kernel and enable vfat support as a loadable module?

Gale Stafford