Re: how to load a module for vfat fs support?

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:23:39 -0500 Gale Stafford <gstafford@bitwiser.com> wrote: 8-§  > I'm trying to mount a floppy disk with a vfat filesystem. But it seems my kernel doesn't handle vfat at this point. I thought I enabled vfat support as a loadable module before compiling the kernel, but it seems I goofed.
8-§  >
8-§  > If I want to load a module to the kernel dynamically, from what I understand, I just use
8-§  >
8-§  > insmod [module_name]
8-§  >
8-§  > And assuming the module is in my /lib/modules/2.4.10 directory, the kernel should load the module. Right?
8-§  >
8-§  > My problem now is, I don't know the precise name of the module I should load.
8-§  >
8-§  > In /lib/modules/2.4.10/build/vfat I see three files.
8-§  >
8-§  > vfatfs_syms.c
8-§  > Makefile
8-§  > namei.c
8-§  >
8-§  > As an experiment, I did
8-§  >
8-§  > insmod vfatfs_syms.c
8-§  >
8-§  > and I got an error, "vfatfs_syms.c is not an ELF file". I tried the same thing for namei.c and got the same error.
8-§  >
8-§  > Any ideas?
8-§  >
8-§  > thanks!
8-§  > Gale Stafford

Why don't you think to use modconf: graphical front-end to install modules in the kernel? I currently use it and I find it simple. So if you want to do so type modconf, search for vfat module and install it. It is like you do insmod ...
Ste@linuxabbestia.net

--
<<Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are!>>