how to load a module for vfat fs support?

I'm trying to mount a floppy disk with a vfat filesystem. But it seems my kernel doesn't handle vfat at this point. I thought I enabled vfat support as a loadable module before compiling the kernel, but it seems I goofed.

If I want to load a module to the kernel dynamically, from what I understand, I just use

insmod [module_name]

And assuming the module is in my /lib/modules/2.4.10 directory, the kernel should load the module. Right?

My problem now is, I don't know the precise name of the module I should load.

In /lib/modules/2.4.10/build/vfat I see three files.

vfatfs_syms.c
Makefile
namei.c

As an experiment, I did

insmod vfatfs_syms.c

and I got an error, "vfatfs_syms.c is not an ELF file". I tried the same thing for namei.c and got the same error.

Any ideas?

thanks!
Gale Stafford