Re: Minimum HD space

Roman Stepanyan <rstepanyan@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Cool! well, since I'm new to debian, for now I would rather have an old
>> stable version than to have to put up with 'unstablelessness'.
>
> I think you did NOT get it. UNSTABLE branch of Debian does NOT mean
> that software there is unstable!!! It just means, that some changes
> in the content of the brach are made (in the STABLE brach only
> security updates are made when necessary).

...and sometimes it breaks terribly in system libraries, to the point
where you need to be able to debug what's wrong on your own to be able
to log in.  I haven't actually had to edit a binary since I first
started using Debian, but things have broken spectacularly; the most
recent badly-broken-thing that comes to mind is a quoting bug in one
of the X startup scripts that made it impossible to log in using xdm
or run startx if ssh was installed.

Being new to Debian doesn't necessarily require you to plant yourself
at the latest stable released version.  But if you do decide to run
unstable, become familiar with the Debian bug tracking system
(http://bugs.debian.org/), report bugs (possibly using the 'reportbug'
package) when things break, and subscribe to the debian-devel-announce
mailing list for announcements of importance to
Debian-under-construction.  Subscribing to debian-devel wouldn't be a
bad idea, but it's fairly high-traffic (on par with debian-user).

	-- Abra Mitchell