Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and potato

Andre Berger wrote:

>>>installing potato (don't want woody yet) on it. The stock kernel
>>
>>Why not?  There's no good reason to avoid woody.  Potato is way too old,
>>now.
>
> I'm a stability freak :)

You obviously belong on the Debian development team, since woody is
extremely stable. :-) Only a debian developer would consider it
not-ready-for-primetime.
>>There is no such beast.  You can get vga mode on XFree 3.x, but save
>>yourself the hassle and install woody.
>

> Good advice, but too late.
>
> Xfree 3.3.x is theoretically possible using the "i810gtt" kernel AGP
> timimg patch from Intel (i810gtt-0.1-6.src.rpm) in conjunction with
> Intel's "XFcom_810" server. Did not do that to myself though but
> installed XFree86 4.1 for potato... :)

Wow.  I have to admit I never thought to check Intel's site for such a
thing.  I can't imagine why they would have gone to the trouble of
creating a server for 3.3.6 when it's been possible to install XFree86
4.x for ages (can't actually remember when it was first available in a
reasonably stable form, but I know it was back when I was still playing
with Corel Linux).

Installing woody, 2.4.16-586, and XFree86 4.1 would still have been
easier...
--
derek