Re: exciting dial up question

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 01:30:24PM +0300, Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:34:14 -0000
> <stuarth@dircon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > As a debian novice I get a little lost. Today's problem is that though
> > I run wvdial OK, which runs the modem OK, when I then launch Opera it
> > doesn't seem to know that the PC is online, and so can't access the
> > web. There is something no doubt obvious I am failing to do. Can
> > someone help me?
>
> Write your provider's nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf.
> Or setup local dnrd (a .deb package available) to automatically hanlde
> this.

the latest version of wvdial in woody have "usepeerdns" in
/etc/ppp/peers/wvdial.  This will manage /etc/resolve.conf for
you and restore your old one when you disconnect.
But I guess you can't do apt-get upgrade without your net
the connection :)

You may also want to install something like nscd as a local
nameserver because several daemons (fetchmail, wwwoffle)
reallu don't like it when you change resolv.conf without
restarting them.

sam
--
sam clegg