Re: PCMCIA modem

On Fri, 3 May 2002, alberto wrote:

> I just got the WRONG one: A 3COM 3056. Wasted my money.  (I didn't
> spot it in http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS) The
> thing is, I'm searching the web and I only find: "requires Windows".
> What's happened to the modems?? How can I be sure not to get another
> fake?

	Yea, I had to look long and hard at 3Com's offering of modems to
figure things out. Apparently there are three types of modems, full
hardware, controller-less (CPU does this), and controller-less + DSP-less
(only the physical interface remains). Linux users (and any sane computer
user) would want the full hardware style, which is getting harder and
harder to find in PCMCIA modems.
	I ended up with their top of the line 56K Global/GSM/Cellar modem,
3CXM756, and it works like a charm. New they are quite a bit pricey, but I
got my off of eBay for ~$60 (in basically new condition).
	Anyway, my two cents.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |