Re: Boot Loader

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:34:43AM -0400, German Poo Caaman~o wrote:
> On my notebook, Compaq Presario 1711LA:
> Suspend -> Recovery at the same place whithout bootloader
>            (it doesn't matter, because only WinXP can suspend,
>             not my Linux).
> Hibernate -> The power on calls to Bootloader.

On all the windows XP machines I have used suspend means that
the machine is still not quite powered down and can be woken
again at touch a button.

Hibernate means that all state gets thrown down on the HD and the
power goes out.

When the power comes on again I get lilo and I can choose my
OS.  If I choose XP it finds the hibernation data early in it's
boot process and loads it.  However I don't have to choose XP.
I could use linux for a couple of weeks, even reinstall lilo a
few times, and still come back to XP and it would find it's
hibernation data.

So I guess lilo is compatible with windows XP hibernation.

AFAIK, linux swsusp (SysReq-d) does the same thing as XP
hibernation.  i.e. It detects the hibernation during kernel
boot.  Doesn't really have anything to do with lilo or the
bios at all.  I could be wrong though.

sam
--
sam clegg