Re: Sound Card ohh... Sound Card (was : SC on Dell Latitude Xpi )

arief muLya, 2002-Apr-27 14:51 +0700:
> I'm trying to install ALSA driver from potato packages now.
> though I'm having some hard time in make, I finally managed to get the
> modules installed on /lib/modules/2.2.19/misc.
>
> When I try to modprobe snd-card-ens137x series, and snd-card-es1xxx
> series, comes the invalid resources errors. But when I try to modprobe
> snd-ensxxx or snd-es1xxx series, I got no errors and the modules is
> installed, at least it was according to lsmod. But I still got no audio.
> aumix said : error opening mixer. XMMS said no audio device.
>
> So what was those modules?
> Why can't I get no voices?
>
> How do I detect what kind of sound card I have?
> When I do lspci, it only said :
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: PicoPower Technology PT86C52x [Vesuvius] (rev 04)
> 00:06.0 ISA bridge: PicoPower Technology PT80C524 [Nile]
> 00:07.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2070
> [MagicGraph NM2070] (rev 01)
> 00:08.0 IDE interface: CMD Technology Inc PCI0643
>
> pnpdump said: no boards found.
> I have no other clues, besides the one Dell told me that it was ES1887 card.
> I download the dos-driver from dell, but I haven't plans to reinstall
> dos/windoze here. Hopefully don't have to.
>
> Anymore clues?

Hmm...I've never used the packaged ALSA stuff.  I always got the
latest driver, lib and utilities tarballs from
www.alsa-project.org and compiled them myself.  You might want to
read the HowTo documentation.  According to a quick scan on the
ALSA web site, you should be using the driver es18xx for the
ES1887 chipset.  Also, to make sure all the sound device files
are setup, run the snddeices script, which is included with the
drivers source.

Check out the mini howto:
http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn/Alsa-sound-mini-HOWTO.html

Good Luck,