Re: WLAN-Card for DELL Inspiron 8100

As far as I have used all the 802.11b PCMCIA Card, all the card service driver work well ( some are better :) ) and most of the 802.11b card work in Linux, ( so as Dell's , only two major chipset in market ) TrueMobile1100 is using Prism driver, 1150 and 1150 mini are Hermes 1150 will be the only one allow
antenna, but I don't see Dell sell them anymore only 1150 mini.
Card service work well under 2.4 I havn't been using 2.2 for a while... don't know :o And the Question will be why buying a Dell card if you can get 3 Lucent Silver with the same price ( they have very well preformance unless you need 128WEP, you will need the Gold Card, and they are the same chipset Hermes , with ext antenna ready )
http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_Specials.cfm?ID=4112&Item=LUC012372A
The build in mini pci 1150 work also ( unless you really need an extra pcmcia slot, I don't suggest it ) the mini use case to act as antenna also, which make your laptop position and direction affect connectivity also.
Good luck
Alex

Karsten Rothemund wrote:

Hello List,

my Dell Inspiron is running better and better under Linux (Debian)[1].
Now I beginn to think about a WLAN-card, because the University of
Rostock has installed a WLAN-network in most of its buildings. The
problem is, I don't know, if the WLAN-card Dell offers is running with
Linux.

In fact they offer(ed) two variants:
1. a usual PCMCIA-card. This will work - I think - as good as every
other card (and therefor I can take any other of these cards)

2. The Laptop has a builtin antenna for WLAN (this makes this solution
look so sexy) which will work with a special DELL-WLAN-card (not so
sexy). As far as I know, this card has to be installed into the laptop
(so, maybe it is too late anyway). But I don't know anything about
this card. Anyone with more information here?

Thanx for any help,

[1] a report on my journey through Linux-Djungle can soon be found under
http://www-ae.e-technik.uni-rostock.de/home/karo/I8100-Installation.de.html
(unfortunately only in german language up to now)