setterm question

Hi!

I wonder how to turn off my laptop's display when in virtual console mode. I
think setterm might help, but I don't think the following options are as
self-explanatory as the man-page [potato] suggests:

setterm [ -powersave [ on|vsync|hsync|powerdown|off ] ]
setterm [ -powerdown [ 0-60 ] ]

I would like to synchronize my console settings with my X11 settings:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
  DPMS is Enabled

How can I get my consoles to follow the same scheme?

Where would I put setterm-settings so that they are applied even if no one is
logged in on the consoles? (not /etc/profile, obviously)

-Andre