Re: dealing with removable devices?

>> i'm having a problem i suspect is similar to how people deal with
>> laptop docks.  i've got a woody installation on an thinkpad t21, which
>> has a ultrabay 2000 slot, allowing for a removable floppy/cdrom.  i
>> can swap devices, and everything works ok...*if* the cdrom was in the
>> slot when the machine was booted.

I have Acer Travelmate 332T. It also has removable cdrom drive. In my
computer (running Woody) at least, I can use
	/usr/share/doc/hdparm/examples/idectl 1 rescan
to get Linux to detect the cdrom drive after attaching it. No any special
boot parameters are required. There's also "ultrabayd" script, maybe that
helps you too.

(be sure to "apt-get install hdparm")