Re: Clevo 2700

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 22:45, gob wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I had a look at your website once before, following a google search for
> 'SiS630S linux laptop'.  It was then I realised I have a Clevo also.  I
> have the CDRW spec (Matsushita/Panasonic UDJA310) rather than the DVD.  I
> presume that 3D acceleration is therefore unnecessary (?).

Well that depends... the laptop works perfectly with standard vesa (vga)
video, but 2D and 3D tasks will run slow.
If you want to watch video's (either dvd, mpeg, avi or whatever) 2d
acceleration is a good idea.
If you want to run 3d apps (opengl) or games 3d acceleration is a
primary need.

You need to check thomas's site for the video part :) It's the best.

> I had some initial problems with the linux installation, solved now with
> woody, and thanks to the driver and XF86Config-4 from Thomas's site.  I
> have the 2.2.20 kernel.

I'm running a 2.4 since it's so much faster (and up to date...)

>  >softmodem

I've had multiple battles over this one, but gave up, since I don't use
modems much if anything (there is ethernet practically everywhere I go).
For the cases there isn't I bought a second hand pcmcia modem (toshiba
28k). But i've only used it once or twice since...

> Did you manage to get this going?

The drivers apparently work, but only if you use the exact kernel it was
compiled for (binary drivers). They're only provided for suse and redhat
kernels.

>  >modem
>
> I have a PCMCIA modem which I'm attempting to get going.  At the moment all
> my browsing/email is done in the windows partition, so this is my highest
> priority.

Probably just upgrade pcmcia-cs to the newest version. Try that, and
look up if your card is supported on the pcmcia-cs.sf.net site.

>  >Logitech USB (on USB and PS/2) First/Pilot Wheel Mouse Type
>
> I have a Logitech optical cordless rodent, will work on it with suggestions
> from your site.

Should be the same (seen from the computer) so my settings should work
perfectly...

>  >audio
>
> I've yet to test this, will do so today.

A 2.4 kernel has the 'trident' driver... it works (but not after
rebooting from windows, you need to shutdown and do a cold-boot)

>  >Becomes quite hot
>
> This is an extreme problem for me.  I may have overused the system in the
> past, burning CD after CD.  Now it overheats regularly, causing a complete
> crash.  Anything CPU intensive can cause it, eg converting a 200MB MP2 to
> .wav (resulting file is ~1GB!).  It overheated in Linux whilst trying to
> make a kernel as per the SiS site.  Also, if it on for any length of time
> ie >4h, it will freeze during normal CPU activity.  I know its an
> overheating problem as it doesn't occur if I put the laptop outside into
> the cold.  I sent it back once, all they did was a BIOS upgrade which has
> made no apparent changes.  I'm hoping I'll come across a linux solution one
> day.

I have the same problem, bios is really flakey with fan control. What
usually works is rebooting (shutdown, cold-boot) when it is 'warm to
hot'. The bios will detect it is hot and turn on the fan. The fan will
then STAY ON no matter what. It will cool down, and stay relatively
cool.

Suspending and resuming will sometimes make the fan kick in...

> I'd be interested to hear your experiences with the above.  I'm still
> learning the Linux OS, so it will take me some time to assimilate &
> implement everything.  I don't want to overburden you with questions as a)
> it takes too much of yours, b) it prevents me from learning the
> system...  appreciate your help anyway.

No problem :)

--
Mark Janssen     Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @