Clevo 2700

Hi Mark,

I had a look at your website once before, following a google search for 'SiS630S linux laptop'. It was then I realised I have a Clevo also. I have the CDRW spec (Matsushita/Panasonic UDJA310) rather than the DVD. I presume that 3D acceleration is therefore unnecessary (?).

I had some initial problems with the linux installation, solved now with woody, and thanks to the driver and XF86Config-4 from Thomas's site. I have the 2.2.20 kernel.

>softmodem

Did you manage to get this going?

>modem

I have a PCMCIA modem which I'm attempting to get going. At the moment all my browsing/email is done in the windows partition, so this is my highest priority.

>Logitech USB (on USB and PS/2) First/Pilot Wheel Mouse Type

I have a Logitech optical cordless rodent, will work on it with suggestions from your site.

>audio

I've yet to test this, will do so today.

>Becomes quite hot

This is an extreme problem for me. I may have overused the system in the past, burning CD after CD. Now it overheats regularly, causing a complete crash. Anything CPU intensive can cause it, eg converting a 200MB MP2 to .wav (resulting file is ~1GB!). It overheated in Linux whilst trying to make a kernel as per the SiS site. Also, if it on for any length of time ie >4h, it will freeze during normal CPU activity. I know its an overheating problem as it doesn't occur if I put the laptop outside into the cold. I sent it back once, all they did was a BIOS upgrade which has made no apparent changes. I'm hoping I'll come across a linux solution one day.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences with the above. I'm still learning the Linux OS, so it will take me some time to assimilate & implement everything. I don't want to overburden you with questions as a) it takes too much of yours, b) it prevents me from learning the system... appreciate your help anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Tim