Re: debian laptop for a train hopper

I pitched my HP Omnibook 6000 across the room.. 16 feet of air, through a vase and wedged into drywall.  It still works like a charm.

Crash test laptop.

-judd

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 05:58:49PM -0700, Glen Mehn wrote:
> I've had great luck with ThinkPads in the past. They are quite expensive, however, but if that's not a factor. The T-23s have some sort of titanium cover that makes them 'more resistant', although train hopping probably isn't quite what IBM had in mind when making them.
>
> Somewhat heavier (I dunno, maybe 5.5, 6 lbs?) are the older Dell Latitude C series (and the cp, cp+, whatever). They're like PII-233-250, and pretty nice for what they are, plus, they're pretty solid and indestructable.
>
> Other than that... I think that the issues that you're gonna run into are more:
>
> --fragility
> --battery
> --etc.
>
> I agree with heather re: the fragility of the sonys. There are a few that are great, but they're hard to tell which is which. Some are *very* linux/bsd friendly and others are *not*.
>
> -g
>
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 05:36:33PM -0700, Heather Stern wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 05:24:15PM -0700, wandering jason wrote:
> > > hello everyone,
> > >
> > > i'm trying to make a decision on which laptop to
> > > purchase. i've great respect for the debian community,
> > > and so i thought i'd ask for advice here.
> > >
> > > i'll use the laptop mostly for programming, writing,
> > > browsing, and listening to news and lectures.  i need
> > > something that will run fine with potato, including X.
> > >  and i need something as light and durable as
> > > possible--i hop freight trains when traveling and plan
> > > to take the laptop with me.
> > >
> > > i'm thinking about either a fujitsu p-2040 or a sony
> > > picturebook c1vp.  or some other crusoe based system.
> > > or something used, if it's pretty light.
> > >
> > > does anyone have any recommendations?
> > >
> > > thank you for your commitment to freedom and
> > > community.
> >
> > A number of my friends have had Sony laptops in the last few years,
> > and all of them have been fairly fragile.
> >
> > I'm rather hard on systems, myself, and I wouldn't get myself a Sony.
> > I'd probably accept if someone gave one to me, though...
> >
> > By "pretty light" what do you mean is the weight you're willing to
> > carry... and do you mean with or without its accessories?  most systems'
> > transformers weigh a bit (older ones more so) and if you plan to use a
> > CD bay occasionally rather than rarely, then getting a slightly larger
> > system that actually has a CD bay and real ports may save you a bunch
> > of pain.
> >
> > Lighter systems tend to be more fragile anyway; there are some models sold
> > as tougher than average, often aimed at military and industrial-science
> > use.  A small model of such might have an acceptable carrying weight
> > but still take a little thumping around in your luggage, perhaps.
> >
> > Librettos, while being mildly tricky to set up, appear to be seriously
> > tough little beasties.  The main trickiness is their touchiness about
> > how you'd attach a floppy or CD to them.  Debian works grand once that
> [...]

Judd Maltin

Gandalf: "Oh, yes, Golum deserves to die. But many of those who
have died deserved to be alive. You cannot bring them back to life,
can you? So it is unwise to kill those who deserve death."