Re: debian laptop for a train hopper

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 02:24, wandering jason wrote:
> i'm trying to make a decision on which laptop to
> purchase. i've great respect for the debian community,
> and so i thought i'd ask for advice here.
>
> i'll use the laptop mostly for programming, writing,
> browsing, and listening to news and lectures.  i need
> something that will run fine with potato, including X.
>  and i need something as light and durable as
> possible--i hop freight trains when traveling and plan
> to take the laptop with me.

You can afford a laptop but you can't afford a passenger train ticket?

> i'm thinking about either a fujitsu p-2040 or a sony
> picturebook c1vp.  or some other crusoe based system.
> or something used, if it's pretty light.
>
> does anyone have any recommendations?

As someone else mentioned, the lighter they are the weaker they are as a
general rule.  My first laptop was a Thinkpad 385XD which was about 3.5Kg and
solid as a rock (it could literally be used as a weapon it was so solid).

Also if you want a solid laptop get one with a smaller screen.  The screen is
the weakest part of the laptop, the smaller it is the less risk of damage.
The Thinkpad X series looks like it might be good from the specs.

My Thinkpad T series is not something I'd prefer to carry if I was jumping on
a moving train, it's too wide to be easily protected.

Probably if I was going to do what you're planning I'd get an old Thinkpad
385XD.  PentiumMMX-233, 96M of RAM, 3G hard drive, 800x600 display, it's
quite an OK little machine.  Such a machine is so cheap now that if you break
one you won't be too upset, and if someone tries to mug you for it then you
won't do anything too stupid (also you could just tell the mugger how old and
cheap it was and they might leave you with it).