Re: debian laptop for a train hopper

>>>>> "Glen" == Glen Mehn <glen@squaretrade.com> writes:

Glen> I've had great luck with ThinkPads in the past. They are quite
Glen> expensive, however, but if that's not a factor. The T-23s have
Glen> some sort of titanium cover that makes them 'more resistant',
Glen> although train hopping probably isn't quite what IBM had in mind
Glen> when making them.

ThinkPads seem to have relatively good Linux support, and the newer
models (I guess starting from a couple of years ago) have a three button
pointing device!  If you want something that's really light, and you
don't need a CD-ROM or floppy other than when you're "home", it may be
worth taking a look at their X series.  They're quite expensive
(starting at around $3000 CDN, or about $2000 US), but you might be able
to pick up a used one somewhere for cheap.  Since the X series has no
CD-ROM and no floppy, there is an optional UltraBase, which has a bay
that can house a floppy drive or CD-ROM (both of which are extra $, I
think).  So it can get pretty expensive, but if money isn't much of a
factor, or if you can find a cheap one, and you don't need a CD-ROM and
floppy while you're train hopping, it's the lightest and most portable
ThinkPad (3.2 lbs).

General things that you should look at in a laptop:
- - pointing device -- TrackPoint or touch pad?  Some people can't use one
  of them.  If this is your case, it may limit your choices.
- - keyboard -- make sure it's comfortable to use.  Some laptops put
  certain keys in weird places, but it's usually easy to get used to it,
  as long as you don't switch between your laptop and a desktop very
  often.
- - screen size and resolution.  Of course, if you want a smaller laptop,
  you may have to settle for a smaller screen.  But check out the
  resolution.  Some 12" screens are 800x600, and some are 1024x768.
- - screen type -- TFT, DSTN, etc.  TFT (active matrix) is the best
  quality (and more expensive, obviously).  I think that all IBM's and
  Sonys are TFT.
- - built-in drives.  If you need a CD-ROM and/or floppy on the road, it's
  probably best to have them built in, as Heather mentioned.  For you,
  it won't make sense to get external drives, since you'll have to carry
  them around with you wherever you go anyways.
- - connectivity.  Most laptops have built-in modems, but they're mostly
  WinModems.  If you need a modem on the road, you probably want to make
  sure that yours will work in Linux, if you don't want to get a PCMCIA
  modem card.  Some laptops have built-in Ethernet too, if you don't
  want to get a PCMCIA LAN card.  (Although PCMCIA cards aren't really
  that heavy, so it won't add much to the weight factor, it's still an
  extra thing that you have to carry around and remember to take with
  you.)
- - future expansion.  Will you need wireless before it's time to retire
  your laptop?  Bluetooth?  USB 2.0?  Firewire?  etc...  Whatever you
  think you'll need, make sure that the laptop will be able to handle
  it, in the form of PCMCIA slots, or having the support built in.
I'm sure I've forgotten something...

As someone else mentioned, you should also think about your laptop
getting stolen.  I've lightly defaced my laptop (by plastering stickers
over the cover).  It's a light measure, but given a choice, a robber
would rather steal a new-looking laptop, than an older one.

You should also avoid letting people know that you have a laptop,
e.g. by carrying it around in something that doesn't look like a laptop
bag.  I've heard that diaper bags are pretty good, and have good
padding, but it would probably make people suspicious seeing a train
hopper with a diaper bag.

Laptop locks, etc. are good, but only work if the robber isn't pointing
a knife/gun at you and forcing you to unlock it.

- --
Hubert Chan <hackerhue@geek.com> - http://www.geocities.com/hubertchan/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/71FDA37F
Fingerprint: 6CC5 822D 2E55 494C 81DD  6F2C 6518 54DF 71FD A37F