Re: debian laptop for a train hopper

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 02:27:05PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 02:24, wandering jason wrote:
> > i'm trying to make a decision on which laptop to
> > purchase. i've great respect for the debian community,
> > and so i thought i'd ask for advice here.
> >
> > i'll use the laptop mostly for programming, writing,
> > browsing, and listening to news and lectures.  i need
> > something that will run fine with potato, including X.
> >  and i need something as light and durable as
> > possible--i hop freight trains when traveling and plan
> > to take the laptop with me.
>
> You can afford a laptop but you can't afford a passenger train ticket?

Actually I know someone who can afford a great many plane tickets and a
really beautiful place who does this.   He just... wants the adventure once
in a while.

Occurs to me I should ask him if he takes a laptop with, and if so, what
kind...

> > i'm thinking about either a fujitsu p-2040 or a sony
> > picturebook c1vp.  or some other crusoe based system.
> > or something used, if it's pretty light.
> >
> > does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> As someone else mentioned, the lighter they are the weaker they are as a
> general rule.  My first laptop was a Thinkpad 385XD which was about 3.5Kg and
> solid as a rock (it could literally be used as a weapon it was so solid).
>
> Also if you want a solid laptop get one with a smaller screen.  The screen is
> the weakest part of the laptop, the smaller it is the less risk of damage.
> The Thinkpad X series looks like it might be good from the specs.
>
> My Thinkpad T series is not something I'd prefer to carry if I was jumping on
> a moving train, it's too wide to be easily protected.
>
> Probably if I was going to do what you're planning I'd get an old Thinkpad
> 385XD.  PentiumMMX-233, 96M of RAM, 3G hard drive, 800x600 display, it's
> quite an OK little machine.  Such a machine is so cheap now that if you break
> one you won't be too upset, and if someone tries to mug you for it then you
> won't do anything too stupid (also you could just tell the mugger how old and
> cheap it was and they might leave you with it).

Hmm, yes, that aspect of it hadn't occurred to me, but might be important.
Don't have it leap up into whizzy GUI mode login, you might convince them
back.

And there was a quite long thread awhile back about good measures to protect
your laptop in the "try to get it back" sense.  Things like engraving your
contact data internal to the case, and various passwording mechanisms.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...