APM Suspend on I8K

I've got my Dell I8K running Sid with a 2.4.17 kernel and everything
works just fine. I only have one problem with the system. If I use Fn +
Esc to suspend, or if I close the cover, the BIOS seems to handle the
suspend. That is, none of the APM scripts get called. This causes
something of a hassle if I come out of suspend when I'm no longer
connected to the network, etc.

Using apm -s or "Suspend" from the GDM login menu puts my system into
suspend "properly". (i.e. All of the suspend scripts are run.) However,
when I come OUT of suspend, GDM is dead and needs to be manually
restarted. This is a problem for two reasons. One, if I'm logged into a
Gnome session and I happen to use apm -s, that session gets killed and
needs to be restarted and two, if one of my roommates happens to be
using the laptop and they use Suspend from the GDM menu, they have no
way to log in until I get home. (They have an innate fear of the command
line, so asking them log in on tty2 and run startx isn't going to work.)

As if all of this isn't enough, there's yet ANOTHER problem. This one
seems to be a problem with my DHCP server though I'm not sure.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to track down the exact cause of this
outside of "when coming out of suspend." It only happens every once in a
while and it seems to happen both on a BIOS suspend and an apm -s
suspend. When coming out of suspend, my IP address gets changed. This
SHOULDN'T happen, however, since my DHCP server is set up with a static
lease for my laptop. Unfortunately, the DHCP server is also the PDC
here, so it's running Windows 2K. Running pump once or twice usually
gets the right IP back for me, but once again, this isn't something that
I can tell my roommates to do, so they're left with no internet
connection until I get home.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Alex