Re: mount cd rom

On 11-Apr-2002 Nick wrote:
> I have been trying to configure my cd rom but the dang thing don't work for
> me.
> I thought this was a useful web page to follow, lots of nice colourful
> pictures.
> http://people.debian.org/~psg/ddg/node104.html
>
> But!
>
> When I try to enter my cd rom device file:
>
> /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdd
>
> it still doesnt work?
>
> I get alot of E: failed errors and I know not what I am doing, please help.
>
> I have tried apt-cdrom add but it doesnt work, it fails to mount the cdrom.
>
> I did fix this once before but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did
> it.

let's start simple.  cd /proc/ide.  There should be hda, and others.  if you cd
into each of these hd? directories you will find a file called 'media' the one
which is your cdrom will say 'cdrom' the others 'disk'.

Once you know which device is your cdrom, use:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom # change hdd to match what you learned

Once you have that working, make sure /dev/cdrom links to that device.