Re: Debian PC Requirements

Nick wrote:
Hi Derek
I remember hearing about Corel, I never knew Debian was to be its successor,
almost makes me wish I started learning Linux earlier.

Debian isn't a successor to Corel. Corel, like a number of other distributions was a commercial distribution built on top of Debian (slink - the predecessor to potato). So it was a slink base with a Corel-modified KDE desktop and some dicey hardware detection. Corel's Linux has finally been taken over by Xandros which is planning to continue in much the same vein. But these commercial distros have never had much success because once you get the newbie using it, he quickly discovers how easy it is to progress to full Debian, with all the advantages and none of the cost :-) Corel's selling feature was telephone support - except nobody ever managed to get any support!
--
derek