Re: Debian PC Requirements

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 12:25, Nick wrote:
> I know I have a Debian Woody and I am pretty sure it is 2.3.

That's impossible. Woody is 3.0.

You're probably just confusing yourself. Debian versions always have a
version number, but they also have a "code name". If the code name is
confusing, just say what version number you have. You can get the
version number by typing
    cat /etc/debian_version
in a terminal.

Also, there are "releases", for instance Debian 2.2 release 6 (codename
"potato") is the latest stable release at this time. The next stable
release is Debian 3.0 (codename "woody") and it is due to be released
soon.

> What I would like to know is what are the minimum PC
> requirements for this version.

See http://www.debian.org/intro/about and click "What hardware is
supported". Basically, if you have a 386 PC with 300 MB of hard disk
space and 16 MB of memory or anything higher, then you'll be fine.

You probably want to browse around the offical Debian website at
http://www.debian.org/ - most of the questions you have had so far are
answered there.

Cheers :)

fabbe