Re: Debian PC Requirements

At 06:26 AM 4/9/02, Michal Melewski wrote:
> Basically Nick this isn't windows. It will run on what every you want it to.
> I'm not sure if it will run on a 286 or a 8086, but I'm pretty sure no one
> has
> those sitting around anywhere (well I do, but they're not being used).
I'm sure it won't :)
Linux can't be run on machines weaker then 386 because 286 didn't have
'protected mode'. (i'm not sure whether it's proper name but...)

I thought I saw somewhere on the web that the old ATARI's had a port.
(I have one of those sitting in the basement too. Atari 800lx).

My point in the email was: if you can buy it on the market, you should
be able to run Debian on it. Only the cutting edge stuff will give you slight
head aches from lack of drivers. (Well win-modems will cause head aches
too).