Re: Debian PC Requirements

At 08:05 AM 4/9/02, Nick wrote:
Michael
Why do you think I am making the transition to Debian Linux, I have had
enough of WINDOWS! I want to stop using Windows because the multitude of
Viruses seem to be tailor made for "Windows"! Even the best Security
software doesn't stop viruses from infiltrating a Windows system and
Antivirus programs and firewalls such as Norton seem to just make hackers
all the more determined to attack a Windows computer because there are so
many free tools to hack Windows.

I am very new to Debian, I have had some success with Redhat but I like
Debian, its ease of installation and all the great tools and packages make
it a very sexy package and it's FREE! But if I am ever to learn I have to
ask questions or else I will never be in a position to bin my Windows cd's.

Nick

Not Michael, I'm Chris. Hardware requirements is a thing of the MS Windows
world. Newer versions of MS Windows usually have issues running on older
boxes. That's not the problem you have to watch out for with Debian (or Linux
in general). The only hardware gotchas you have to worry about are
Win-Modems and brand new hardware that doesn't have drivers for linux yet.

Running a Linux box doesn't mean that they try less to crack you box. I think
that they try harder. There are viruses that hit linux (about 1 every 2 years) but
there are a lot more Trojan horses, and people trying to find back doors into
your system.

Chris