Re: Problems with Dell 510C and modprobe

Ralf Hein wrote:

I run Debian on a Inspiron 4000, and APM _does_ work. It's only a 2.2 kernel though, for there is afaik no support for winmodems in 2.4, and this model

What sort of winmodem? My Inspiron is connected right now through the Dell built-in Lucent modem, using a 2.4.17 kernel. You have to get the ltmodem source though, and the kernel-headers. But it's easy enough to do with make-kpkg

has such a funny device. Anyway, 'halt' shuts the machine down, 'supend' suspends it (to memory, since I accidently deleted the suspend-partition and can't get it back on), closing the lid suspends it too, etc.

Did you _ever_ have suspend-to-disk working under Linux? You can actually get the software to remake the partition from Dell (and I have it but haven't tried it because ACPI isn't ready to support s2d yet anyway).

Even the battery monitor shows usefull and surprisingly reliable data.

No idea about the original problem though. Seems like modprobe is looking for a setting it can't get due to a broken implementation of something (ACPI?).

Well, without applying the latest patches ACPI is definitely going to be broken. Even with them, I don't think you can get full support for Dells
--
derek