Re: Problems with Dell 510C and modprobe

On Sunday 24 March 2002 17:28, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > I run Debian on a Inspiron 4000, and APM _does_ work. It's only a 2.2
> > kernel though, for there is afaik no support for winmodems in 2.4, and
> > this model
>
> What sort of winmodem?  My Inspiron is connected right now through the
> Dell built-in Lucent modem, using a 2.4.17 kernel.  You have to get the
> ltmodem source though, and the kernel-headers.  But it's easy enough to
> do with make-kpkg

The same kind of Lucent  based as you got, I suppose. It's completely new to
me it works under 2.4, as the docs for the winmodem sources say it won't. The
version seems to be kind of old than, but I never felt I should upgrade. I'll
look into this matter, maybe I can even get a 2.4 kernel running ...

> Did you _ever_ have suspend-to-disk working under Linux?  You can
> actually get the software to remake the partition from Dell (and I have
> it but haven't tried it because ACPI isn't ready to support s2d yet
> anyway).

I'm pretty sure I did have suspend-to-disk working when I first installed
SuSe Linux on the inspiron around a year ago. Later I added Debian on another
partition and run out of space, so I deleted the suspend partition. Not quite
knowing what I did than, as the Dell's software to remake it is broken and
does not manage to actually complete the partition. That is, it runs and
everything seems alright, but next time you run it it complains about an
invalid format or such. Apart from that the software crashes for no appearent
reason, so I stoped trying.

Also, I used to have an IBM 380 ED, where S2D was working as well. What
exactly is the problem with it anyway? After all, isn't it implemented in the
BIOS?

Ralf